Monday, January 4, 2010

You Can't Control the Wind but you can Adjust the Sails


As my sister and the financial aid counselor discussed payment plan options, I took a mental vacation staring at a photograph on a nearby wall...
Colorful sail boats under a brilliant sun and of course an accompanying inspirational quote:
"You can't control the wind but you can adjust the sails".
Inspirational quotes always seem to do a better job at making the simple sound sensuous.
Despite being one to poke fun at anything remotely "corny", this particular quote struck me as very appropriate.
"I can see you being placed in Africa somewhere, possibly along the west coast" said a peace corp recruiter at a student fair on Marquette's campus.
"Eastern Europe seems to be a great fit for you" said my peace corp interviewer.
"I'm open to whatever you think best... however to be honest..." And thanks to this honesty my sail was able to catch a wind heading straight south!

No comments:

Post a Comment